Would you like to add or edit content here? Here's how you can have an account!
Prejudice against non-theists
Political, Institutional and Social prejudice against non-theists, atheists, agnostics and freethinkers
Here are just a few examples of the type of prejudice that non-theists typically endure. If the same things were said about women, minorities, gay people and other, better protected groups, there would be a lot more outrage. Anti-atheism hatered and intolerance seems to be one of the remaining acceptable social taboos:
- Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned Tuesday whether he can be fair to non-Christians.http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alabama_governor_christians" rel="nofollow" title="Source">[ref]
- Lamar advertising company will sell billboards to hookers but not atheists.http://www.bnet.com/blog/advertising-business/lamar-sells-billboards-to-hookers-but-not-to-atheists/2412" rel="nofollow" title="Source">[ref]
- Religious teen shoots and murders an atheist teen over an argument; judge does not consider it a hate crime and reduces the murder charge; parents outrages.http://www.whotv.com/news/who-story-doyle-family-shooting-100810,0,3732283.story" rel="nofollow" title="Source">[ref]
- British court punishes atheist for leaving flyers in the prayer room of the John Lennon airport.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/7624578/Atheist-given-Asbo-for-leaflets-mocking-Jesus.html" rel="nofollow" title="Source">[ref]
- In many states people who don't believe in god are discriminated against by law.
- Many taxpayer/government-funded institutions such as the Boy Scouts actively discriminate against non-believers.
- Many civic groups, such as the Masons, refuse membership to atheists. They allow their members to believe in a wide variety of superstitious, mythological entities from Allah to Yahweh, but if you reject all that, you are not welcome.
- Even American presidents have condoned intolerance towards atheists:
- "No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God." -- George H. Bush, August 27, 1987
- Mainstream media suggests that atheists should not be accommodated in American society.
This site costs a lot of money in bandwidth and resources. We are glad to bring it to you free, but would you consider helping support our site by making a donation? Any amount would go a long way towards helping us continue to provide this useful service to the community.
Click on the Paypal button below to donate. Your support is most appreciated!